When Life Starts - The Truth about Abortion in Kenya
FROM THE CHRISTIAN MEDICAL FELLOWSHIP AND THE KENYA CHRISTIAN LAWYERS FELLOWSHIP
There has been a heated debate about; when life begins, the legalization of abortion and the Justification for such legislation.
As Medical and Legal PROFESSIONALS and EXPERTS in the fields of Medicine and Law, we wish to make it very clear that:
- The views that have flooded the media lately WERE NOT, ARE NOT AND WILL NEVER BE THE VIEWS OF EITHER The Kenya Medical Association (KMA) OR The Kenya Obstetrics and Gynaecological Society (KOGS).
- These views were generated, promoted and paid for by the PARTICULAR INDIVIDUALS AND THEIR SPONSORS.
- Medical doctors know the scientific facts about the beginning, the development of human life through its various stages and will NEVER contradict these facts that have been documented in scientifically written medical textbooks.
- Medical doctors know and understand that life starts CONCEPTION. Conception is the most critical stage for human existence, without it, life never exists.
- Medical doctors affirm what millions of mothers believe that the unborn babies in their wombs are ALIVE.
We therefore present several facts to you to clarify information you have heard, seen or read; and for you to consider as you deliberate on the proposed constitution.
FACTS ABOUT KENYA AND ABORTION
- Kenya's vision 2030 has a MORAL FOUNDATION articulated in 5 values that include, God-fearing, UTU, integrity, stewardship and patriotism. Legalization of abortion UNDERMINES and CONTRADICTS all these values.
- Life starts when a SPERM from the man and an EGG from the woman join (fertilization). At this point, a NEW INDIVIDUAL is formed and all his or her characteristics are determined including; sex, height, colour, intelligence among others. The fertilized egg (zygote) starts to divide in a very organized manner because it is ALIVE and eventually develops into a FULL HUMAN BEING.
- To show that this baby is alive and FULLY human, his /her HEART can be seen BEATING 21 DAYS after fertilization, the baby FEELS PAIN at 8 weeks, the baby GRASPS OBJECTS in the hand at 9 weeks, the baby SWALLOWS at 10 weeks and SUCKS, KICKS and PLAYS with umbilical cord at 12 weeks. THE MOTHER CANNOT FEEL the MOVEMENTS of the LIVING baby just yet because he or she is still too small. The mother will eventually feel these movements 6-8 weeks later (4 to 5 months of pregnancy).
- Abortion is a problem in Kenya. Hospital figures estimate 300,000 abortions per year. This figure, often quoted in the media and used by pro-abortionists to call for legalization of abortion, includes both miscarriages (spontaneous abortions in medical terminology) and induced abortions.
- Of these only 16% (48,000) occur in girls between 15-19 years old, 32% (96,000) in women between 20-24 years while 52% (156,000) are in mature women over 25 years old.
- Out of this often-quoted figure of 300,000, 28% (84,000) are most likely induced while 56% (168,000) are miscarriages. It is not clear whether the remaining 16% are miscarriages or induced abortions.
- Abortions are decreasing in Kenya EVEN without LEGALISATION. In 1982 there were estimated 4,666 abortions daily while in 2004 there were 800 abortions daily.That is an 83.3% REDUCTION in abortions over the last 22 years.
- In the study done in 2004 and quoted above, six of the 7 women who died were looked after by SKILLED HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS who used WRONG INSTRUMENTS at the WRONG STAGE OF PREGNANCY. These were not backstreet abortions.
- Although no woman should die from pregnancy, abortion contributes to and accounts for a VERY SMALL PROPORTION (4%) of pregnancy related deaths among women. 96% of pregnancy related deaths among women result from PREVENTABLE causes such as bleeding after childbirth (34%), high blood pressure (9%), infection (6%), obstructed labour (7%), anaemia (4%), and other causes (5%).
- Women who undergo MEDICAL ABORTION (by using tablets like misoprostol) have 4 TIMES THE RISK OF SEVERE BLEEDING compared to those who are operated on.
- There is NO COUNTRY in the world where LEGALISING abortion has reduced pregnancy related deaths among women. Examples of countries where abortion is ILLEGAL yet have LOW RATES of pregnancy related deaths include, Mauritius (15/ 100,000), Chile (16/100,000) and Sri Lanka (43/100,000). Countries that have LEGALISED abortion and have HIGH RATES of death include Ethiopia (670/100,000), Guyana (93.3/100,000), Nepal (280/100,000) and South Africa (400/100,000).
- The reduction of pregnancy related deaths has been showed to be ALMOST ALWAYS influenced by:
- Improving the socio-economic status of women,
- Improving the quality of health care services,
- Increasing access to skilled birth attendance,
- Increasing child spacing and
- Reducing teenage pregnancy.
These interventions are affordable. They can be implemented with available health workers and resources. Additional funding for these services will not distort the national budget all and in the immediate and long term will save us lives and money.
DEAR FOLLOWER OF CHRIST, PLEASE REMEMBER:
- ABORTION KILLS INNOCENT BABIES,
- ABORTION INJURES AND SOMETIMES KILLS the mothers
- ABORTION WIPES OUT GENERATIONS.
- There is NO SCIENTIFIC evidence that life starts after birth. IT IS A LIE!
AS YOU VOTE:
VOTE FOR A CONSTITUTION THAT DEFINES LIFE AS FOLLOWS;
'LIFE STARTS AT CONCEPTION AND ENDS AT NATURAL DEATH'
In the Bible, in the book of Jeremiah 1:5, God says, "Before I FORMED YOU IN YOUR MOTHERS WOMB I KNEW YOU"
WE ARE CONFIDENT THAT THE UNBORN BABIES OF KENYA CAN COUNT ON YOU CHURCHES AND BELIEVERS LEARN AND RECEIVE TRUE, SCRIPTURAL and SCIENTIFIC INFORMATION ABOUT CONCEPTION, LIFE AND ABORTION.
WE ARE EQUALLY CONFIDENT THAT AS YOU VOTE ON THE CONSTITUTION, YOU WILL GIVE THE UNBORN BABIES THEIR GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TO LIFE AND THE OPPORTUNITY TO LIVE IN KENYA.